Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PPTP is still broken in Intrepid

Beans

PPTP is still broken in Intrepid

Following on from the closed thread from the intrepid forums
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=922362

PPTP is still broken on the latest release of intrepid.

If you save your password it'll still tell you that there are no secrets found.

Also the fact that there's no option to enable refuse-eap (and resorting to editing it in gconf-editor) is a deal breaker.

Users should probably stick to hardy until this bug is fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: PPTP is still broken in Intrepid

I am also running into issues with this, I cannot set the encryption to 128bit and don't know enough about pptp in lunux to set the gconf-editor value for it.

Any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yep, I am having trouble with PPTP in Intrepid as well.

Before I say anything else, I should probably note that I had to re-create my VPN connections after upgrading from 8.04 to 8.10 - although "networkmanager-pptp" was still installed, the individual VPN connections were not kept in Network Manager. I'm not sure if that's normal.

The first problem I ran into is that something is not working right with the keyring - I don't know exactly why, but saving the password in the keyring causes network manager to complain that "no valid VPN secrets were found." This problem was reported at least once while Intrepid was still in beta. That's easy enough to work around, just don't have it store the password.

The second problem is more vague. When I try to initiate the VPN connection through the Network Manager applet, it displays the lock animation for a second, then pops up a notification that just says "the VPN connection 'home' failed."

What should I be looking for to determine what the problem is here?
    "What's a Lynnuks?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

So I reinstalled networkmanager, networkmanager-gnome, and networkmanager-pptp. Then, I set the VPN connection to use point-to-point encryption, 128-bit.

After saving that setting, I initiated the VPN, and it worked. I verified I could access resources on the other end. However, after disconnecting, I now have the same problem when trying to reconnect - generic "connection failed" message.

I noticed 128-bit point-to-point encryption is now turned off again. Weird.
    Last edited by jfollmann; October 31st, 2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: clarification
    "What's a Lynnuks?"

Beans

i upgraded it to the latest version in the network-manager PPA and it looks like the keyring issues are finally fixed.

Add this to your software sources (system->administration->software sources->third-party software tab):

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu intrepid main

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I did what zyrorl has suggested and I can confirm that I can now connect to my work vpn without any problems - just as I always could with Hardy.

No shortcuts or tricks needed.

Beans

Works for me too
    pptp works, don't ask me how coz it still disabling MPPE, security and statful encryption, but it works !!

But thanks after all it did the job

I hope we see NM update soon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I still get Connection to _____ Failed. I know its not the password or server because it works fine from windows. Any idea's?

Beans

The fixed .deb has been on ppa for almost two weeks, and it has not even made its way into intrepid-proposed. Seems like nobody in the staff cares.

But! As we all know from http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati...esktopedition:
    Ubuntu 'Just Works'

We've done all the hard work for you. Once Ubuntu is installed, all the basics are in place so that your system will be immediately usable.
    Yeah, right.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by waspinator View Post
    I still get Connection to _____ Failed. I know its not the password or server because it works fine from windows. Any idea's?
    I'm not sure if you've added the network-manager ppa that I recommended above but if you hvae it may be due to your settings.

Below I have listed instructions on how I have configured my network vpn's hopefully it will also help you (also see the screenshots i've added below).

Step 1.

Right click nm-applet on your system tray, edit connections.
    Click on the vpn tab and add a vpn connection (pptp)

Step 2.
    Fill out your usual settings connection name, username, password.

Step 3.
    Click advanced.
    For your authentication options, untick everything except MSCHAPv2.
    Tick Enable Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE). Leave All Available (Default) selected.
    Tick allow stateful encrption.
    Click "OK" to save the connection settings and "OK" again on the vpn edit dialog.

Step 4.
    Open gconf-editor (alt-f2 and type "gconf-editor").
    Under /system/networking/connections you should have a list of all your network connections numbered incremently from 1. If the vpn you created was the latest network connection created it'll be the last one, if not just search for for it (hint: the connection folder should have the id for the vpn connection name you gave in step 2).

Step 5.
    Click on the vpn folder and right click, and add a new key.
    Add a string named "refuse-eap" with the value of "yes".
    Click "OK" when you're done and close gconf-editor.

Step 6.

Test your vpn connection. It hopefully should work Bon Appetit.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast