Thread: Unable to share drive or folders from Ubuntu 18.06 to W10 or Mac

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Unable to share drive or folders from Ubuntu 18.06 to W10 or Mac

Let's start with this:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2441147

I created this post while back. I'm currently reinstalling these 2 drives I had in a USB3 mounted box to an internal SATA3-connected space.
    While they were in the USB3-connected box, I was able to use GUI and share via SMB.

As of now, somehow, these are the SAME drives, installed dreict on the motherboard with a SATA cable. They're mounted in "/mnt/Storage 1" and "/mnt/Storage 2". From within Ubuntu they are fully accessible. When you right-click "Properties" and select "Permissions" you get the drive is owned by "root". No modifiable permissions from there (though I'm sure sudo can bypass this).

I cannot creat a local share point to these two drives. Somehow the message I get back is that no assignable permissions can be modified.

I don't think "root" as owner is incorrect. I'm sure I could add a user an another owner (actually, not sure about it at all), but would this affect the sharing capability?
    Again, I'm sharing to Windows 10 and macOS. I need level 755 access from these machines to the drives. I didn't use to have to type in a password, ever, as in my linked post, perhaps this was some kind of guest access...?

How to fix this?

EDIT: I juste tried sudo chown -R me "Storage 1" but All I get is a summary of "Operation not permitted." Owner & Group is set to root. I'm guessing I have to become root to change ownership to me.
    Last edited by couzin2000; February 3rd, 2022 at 11:44 PM. Reason: update
    Couzin2000
    Sainte-Thérèse | Quebec | Canada

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Unable to share drive or folders from Ubuntu 18.06 to W10 or Mac

Something else seems to be wrong. I tried sudo -i and became root. A simple mkdir test created a folder on the drive itself. But it's owned by root. So I tried chown on my own root-created test folder.
    Code:
    chown: you are not the owner of this file - Operation not permitted

SO you mean to tell me that AS ROOT' I can't change any permissions or ownership? I can't give away my own files?

And what if I copy the files over to a USB drive? Will the copies be owned by me? Beecause I could copy all the files in there (I do have read-access) and I could copy all of this on a separate drive, then copy them back on a freshly-formatted drive. I need to regain ownership of these files!
    Couzin2000

Beans
    Hidden!

from the terminal go to the directory holding the file you have problems with and type:
    ls -l
    cut and paste the response.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I was forced into going a step further, just to ensure I was protecting my data.
    All the data on these 2 disks was a total of 10TB. I copied all of it to a portable drive I own, as a backup. (As soon as those files are copied, I gain full permissions over the copies...weird)
    My usb is safe and unplugged.

So now back to the drives.
    I erased the partitions completely, formatted the drives as FAT32. I don't need the extra security, I'm behind a pretty powerful firewall, I'm ok. As sudo -i, I created a folder in root called drives, then created two subfolders called Storage1 and Storage2. I figured out by mounting the drives that when I changed ownership of the 2 folders to myself:myself, that enabled me to change permissions within -- which sounds good.
    So I mount the drives.
    Stuck again: regardless of whether the mount folders belong to me, I cannot CREATE a partition on these drives so that I can have full-permission access to it.

I'm sorry, but this isn't normally this complicated. WT is the problem? These are my drives, they are blank, why doesn't Ubuntu give over control?
    Couzin2000

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Should I have partitioned the drive using gksudo gparted? If I only run gparted it won't be the same, I presume?
    Couzin2000