Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tty 2 question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Re: tty 2 question

Quote Originally Posted by bhubunt View Post
    (btw I am using Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS, Wayland)
    gdm3 needs to be installed by the root user. Correct?
    -what code do I enter in the terminal to see since when I have gdm3 and how it got on my laptop, as I did not install it
    And why is my system using gdm3? Doesn't the root user need to install gdm3? I thought lightdm is the default for ubuntu.
    Ubuntu 22.04 uses gdm3 for login.
    It was installed automatically when you set up your system.

You can see a list of original packages via the manifest https://releases.ubuntu.com/jammy/ub...amd64.manifest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the usual shortcuts to switch to other virtual consoles, tty 3 and so on, don't work.
    What happens when you press Ctrl+Alt+F3 ? To be clear, you press Ctrl, Alt, and F3 all at the same time.
    None of the keyboard shortcuts to launch virtualbox work.
    What does VirtualBox have to do with this query? Are you running Ubuntu 22.04 inside VirtualBox? If you are, you need to enter Ctrl+Alt+F3 using VirtualBox's soft keyboard, not your physical keyboard.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

When I press crtl+alt+f3 simultaneously nothing happens, except the volume goes up, which is f3. Seems to me there is something wrong here. Is there some code for the terminal to check what is going on?

About gdm3 being part of ubuntu 22.04: yes, I knew that, but I expressed myself incorrectly... However, I installed ubuntu 22.04 in August last year and the daily log into tty 2 didn't start happening until October 19 last year. Again, I did not do anything that day to end up logging into tty2. And, as mentioned, I can't get out of tty 2 with the physical keystrokes combinations.

If I could check the terminal to see what's going on, I'd appreciate it, But I am not sure what the commands are that I need to enter into the terminal.

And how do I check if I am in VirtualBox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I press crtl+alt+f3 simultaneously nothing happens, except the volume goes up, which is f3.
    It seems as though your Ctrl or Alt, or both, aren't mapped normally. What language is your keyboard set up as? That might make a difference. Perhaps let us know what hardware as well — is this a converted Mac, perhaps?
    Is there some code for the terminal to check what is going on?
    There would be, but I don't know what it would be, sorry. I hope that someone else here could tell us.
    And how do I check if I am in VirtualBox?
    If you haven't deliberately started VirtualBox, you are highly unlikely to be using it. However, to be sure, in a terminal, enter this command and let us know the output:
    Code:
    sudo dmidecode | grep -i product
    I'm still confused as to what VirtualBox has to do with this topic — why did you mention it?

Also, as a sanity check, please enter both of these commands in a terminal, and let us know the output of both of them:
    Code:
    lsb_release --all
    uname --all
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    It seems as though your Ctrl or Alt, or both, aren't mapped normally. What language is your keyboard set up as? That might make a difference. Perhaps let us know what hardware as well — is this a converted Mac, perhaps?
    The configuration of Ctrl and Alt is fine. Proof: I needed to use Ctrl to paste your commands into the terminal. Alt is fine, too.

If you haven't deliberately started VirtualBox, you are highly unlikely to be using it. However, to be sure, in a terminal, enter this command and let us know the output:
    Code:
    sudo dmidecode | grep -i product
    The only answer I got for that command was the product name of my laptop, a Lenovo Thinkpad x240

Code:
     Product Name: 20AMS0BF00
    Also, as a sanity check, please enter both of these commands in a terminal, and let us know the output of both of them:
    Code:
    lsb_release --all
    uname --all
    Here's the answer:
    Code:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Release:    22.04
    Codename:    jammy
    Linux XXX-ThinkPad-X240 6.5.0-35-generic #35~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue May  7 09:00:52 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I typed in crl+alt+f3 on my other Lenovo laptop, x230i, OS ubuntu 20.4 and the log in screen for tty3 appeared!

So that other laptop is fine, as far as launching ttys is concerned.

But on the one I am using right now, my internet laptop (hooked up to a commercial modem), I am locked into tty2 and can't get out, since October 19, 2023, even though I installed the OS on August 29, 2023. From Aug 29 2023 until October 19 2023 there was no such lock into tty2.

Hoping someone knows the command to check in the terminal what could be going on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

To stop that tty2 try this:
    First show us this:
    Code:
    ps -H -t /dev/tty2
    Lets look at that reply first before going to my below suggestion.
    Code:
    systemctl stop getty@tty2.service
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    To stop that tty2 try this:
    First show us this:
    Code:
    ps -H -t /dev/tty2
    Lets look at that reply first before going to my below suggestion.
    Code:
    systemctl stop getty@tty2.service

Here you are:

Code:
     PID TTY          TIME CMD
       1952 tty2     00:00:00 gdm-wayland-ses
       1957 tty2     00:00:00   gnome-session-b

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Ok try now the second command.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Ok try now the second command.
    I just did --- but nothing happens. Just a blinking cursor.

I typed in your first command and I am still locked into those two (?) tty2 sessions

I got a prompt with the second command that I needed to enter my password, but it seems my password doesn't work on that command
    Last edited by bhubunt; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:23 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast