Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Get Network Manager to stop asking you for your keyring password (pam_keyring)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Howto: Get Network Manager to stop asking you for your keyring password (pam_keyr

On Feisty its a lot easier to get it working. Here is what I did:

Added the following two lines (here marked as red) in the /etc/pam.d/gdm file:

Code:
    #%PAM-1.0
    auth	optional	pam_keyring.so try_first_pass
    session	optional	pam_keyring.so
    auth	requisite	pam_nologin.so
    auth	required	pam_env.so
    @include common-auth
    @include common-account
    session	required	pam_limits.so
    @include common-session
    @include common-password
    Then go to: System --> Administration --> Synaptec Packagemanager and search for: pam_key

Install the first module you see and voila, you don't have to enter the keyring password after each login

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Howto: Get Network Manager to stop asking you for your keyring password (pam_keyr

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshift View Post
    On Feisty its a lot easier to get it working. Here is what I did:

Added the following two lines (here marked as red) in the /etc/pam.d/gdm file:

Code:
    #%PAM-1.0
    auth	optional	pam_keyring.so try_first_pass
    session	optional	pam_keyring.so
    auth	requisite	pam_nologin.so
    auth	required	pam_env.so
    @include common-auth
    @include common-account
    session	required	pam_limits.so
    @include common-session
    @include common-password
    Then go to: System --> Administration --> Synaptec Packagemanager and search for: pam_key

Install the first module you see and voila, you don't have to enter the keyring password after each login
    or just simply
    Code:
    @include common-pamkering

Beans

I am trying to use this with Feisty..

I have auto-login setup so the regular fix does not work.

As per the older email, this seems to fix that problem (with edgy):

#!/bin/bash
    #PATH=$PATH:$HOME)
    echo XXX | /usr/lib/libpam-keyring/pam-keyring-tool -u -s

with feisty I get:
    echo XXX | /usr/lib/libpam-keyring/pam-keyring-tool -u -s --keyring=default
    pam-keyring-tool: error unlocking the default keyring

any thoughts?

Beans

The first way works for me with Feisty. It could be that your script runs before gnome-keyring-daemon. ISTR getting a vague error like that when I was using ROX-Session and needed to start the keyring daemon manually. You could try removing the daemon from the session manager's control (easier said than done) and amending your script:

gnome-keyring-daemon &
    sleep 1

The sleep does seem to be necessary, but it's a bad bodge. If you make the delay too long it may cause network manager to start up before the keyring is unlocked. AIUI the keyring stuff is all done by dbus, so you'd expect that trying to use it should automatically cause the service to start. Maybe one day I'll investigate its dbus interface and try to come up with a less bodgy solution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ngolian View Post
    The first way works for me with Feisty. It could be that your script runs before gnome-keyring-daemon. ISTR getting a vague error like that when I was using ROX-Session and needed to start the keyring daemon manually. You could try removing the daemon from the session manager's control (easier said than done) and amending your script:

gnome-keyring-daemon &
    sleep 1

The sleep does seem to be necessary, but it's a bad bodge. If you make the delay too long it may cause network manager to start up before the keyring is unlocked. AIUI the keyring stuff is all done by dbus, so you'd expect that trying to use it should automatically cause the service to start. Maybe one day I'll investigate its dbus interface and try to come up with a less bodgy solution.
    ....so you know what question comes next...where do I disable the gnome-keyring-daemon

Beans

actually more that I think about it, it can't even be that, I get this error if I run the script manually after everything is booted..

Beans

you can disregard, from a command line it didn't work..on bootup in session manager, it works fine thanks for the help!

Beans

I did a search for pam_key and I get nothing. Is there another repo that I need to setup first? I admit that I haven't read through all of this thread and will go back and do so. However, in the meantime, I would like to get this working, especially because I have never had to do this in any other OS....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Read the thread backwards. There is a post from me and someone else both explaining methods for feisty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thank you superm1 for your Feisty solution, so much easier to do than previous ubuntu versions and works a treat

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast