View Poll Results: Have you tried Google chrome?

Voters
789. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

428 54.25%
  • Not yet as there is no version for Linux

321 40.68%
  • I have Windows but not tried it.

40 5.07%
Page 95 of 108 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome megathread (pre-Linux version)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Google Chrome megathread (pre-Linux version)

I installed Google Chrome on one of the university computers today and it is FAST!!

I have never seen pages load so fast, and opening up .pdf files happens instantaneously. The ability to put a shortcut to an app on the desktop is really awesome, as well.

I am really, really impressed with Google Chrome on all fronts.

I cannot wait for a linux version so I can install this on my home computer.

Of course, Firefox is still incredible, but I think I'll be using Google for any browsing for which I don't need extensions.

Edit: The V8 javascript engine performs with unparalleled speed. Check out this website:

http://celtickane.com/webdesign/jsspeed.php.

By comparison, Firefox scored nearly 2000 ms, Opera around 500. Chrome scored 191 ms.
    Last edited by MatthewPlanchard; September 8th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
    ...:::{Matthew}:::...
    Ubuntu User # 17973 | Psychocat's Ubuntu Resources| Install ANYTHING
    Blessings and Love

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewPlanchard View Post
    I installed Google Chrome on one of the university computers today and it is FAST!!

I have never seen pages load so fast, and opening up .pdf files happens instantaneously. The ability to put a shortcut to an app on the desktop is really awesome, as well.

I am really, really impressed with Google Chrome on all fronts.

I cannot wait for a linux version so I can install this on my home computer.

Of course, Firefox is still incredible, but I think I'll be using Google for any browsing for which I don't need extensions.

Edit: The V8 javascript engine performs with unparalleled speed. Check out this website:

By comparison, Firefox scored nearly 2000 ms, Opera around 500. Chrome scored 191 ms.
    Nice, but i'll wait for linux version. It would be nice to modify it to my needs...
    Last edited by Sycron; September 9th, 2008 at 02:20 PM.
    *NIX makes business nowadays.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewPlanchard View Post

Hmm konqueror does 374 ms where firefox does 1398
    ms and opera 881 ms but it has different numbers if you have more apps open.
    Not relaible enough i think
    http://forum.kde.org/ for all question about KDE

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyTraveler View Post
    Has anyone here been able to use Chrome successfully in Ubuntu? I got it installed, but as soon as I go to a page it gives me a black screen.
    I used Ubuntu Geek's directions, but I found that it works better when running the command:

Code:
    wine ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/$USER/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Google/Chrome/Application/chrome.exe --new-http --in-process-plugins
    from terminal rather than replacing it in the menu item. However, it IS still quite buggy.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RTrev View Post
    And I recall somebody saying that it told them that any Youtube video they wanted to watch was no longer available. Interesting bug. <g>
    Interesting, because I've been getting a lot of "no longer available" messages using Firefox 3.01 + Flashplayer 10 Beta from Thielmann's PPA. I was wondering why so many videos are listed in the search engine if they are no longer available. Sometimes you get that if someone EMBEDS a video that gets removed, but I don't recall encountering such a problem while searching the YouTube site directly. I wonder if there is an issue with the latest Flash Player 10 Beta build.

Note, it doesn't happen for all videos, but maybe 10-20%, which is considerably more than I ever recall encountering while searching YouTube directly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I do not see how Google Chrome will be any better than Epiphany with WebKit. After all, Epiphany with WebKit passes the Acid3 test as Google Chrome does not. How can Google Chrome claim to use WebKit if it does not pass the Acid3 test?
    Help raise community spirit! Contribute to the BUMP Thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=520091
    Assimilate! http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=265!

Beans

passing acid 3 doesn't make it a more standards compliant browser, it only says that it may handle a relativly small number of rules, most of which are used to handle bad code, rather than good code.

if you wanted to you could write a browser tha didn't pass acid3, but would enforce all of the standards, sure, it'd then fail on 2/3 of the internet, but that's becauase of bad coding all around...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RTrev View Post
    A page that isn't finished yet, but will probably be quite nice for measuring browser percentages is:

http://www.grc.com/cookies/stats.htm

This cookie project is temporarily on hold while a couple of higher-priority projects are being worked on,

The numbers may not be completely representative of the general population, since mostly geeks go to Steve's site. <g>

Bob
    ADDENDUM

We've just realized that Chrome includes the word "Safari" in its USER-AGENT string, so the chart I pointed to above is currently collapsing both Chrome and Safari into one category! Steve will fix that after he gets done recording the next SecurityNow episode tomorrow, and will break Chrome out into its own category as it should be.

One of the things that made us suspicious is that, in addition to the number of Safari users suddenly jumping by a large and inexplicable amount, we also saw that the Persistent Third Party cookie numbers for Safari, which is the only browser which currently comes with reasonable default settings, suddenly started looking almost as bad as all the other browsers which come set with poor defaults for handling third-party cookies.

Initial assessment is that Chrome "leaks" TP cookies. Setting it to (I forget the strange wording they use) block TP cookies only prevents it from accepting new TP cookies, but any it already has get sent out even if TP cookies are supposedly disallowed. Bad Chrome! <g>

So, if we wait a couple or three days we'll see the actual usage and cookie handling of Chrome broken out correctly.. which should be interesting.

Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Googles New Web Browser

Who out there has tried Google's new Web Browser? I downloaded it the day, and really enjoy its minimalist approach, with smooth controls, and crazy fast speed.
    My Website

You look smarter already

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Googles New Web Browser

I don't see any reason to, I'm not attracted. I've got firefox customized to the point where using another browser as my main one seems outlandish.

Page 95 of 108 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast